Amazon Prime has changed the way I shop. I do have the disadvantage of not being near a metropolitan area. Fortunately, the internet offers me a wide range of vendors from which to choose. Mostly, Amazon wins because my payment information is in one place not 1,000 across the internet. Also, as a Prime Member I don’t pay for shipping for each purchase (but I do get hit for a large charge annually). On top of that, many items have a guaranteed 2 day delivery. The PE770 and hoops had this guarantee. No waiting a week anxiously watching as my package crosses the country. I ordered. Two days later FedEx drives up and wanted DH to unload this dang package from the back of the truck. I should have told FedEx he was lucky. (1) I have a DH who insists upon handling large or heavy packages and (2) my Designer Ruby came in 2 large, verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry heavy packages. I can actually lift the PE770 package myself. But it is a little difficult to bus about, so I let DH unload the boxes from the truck and move them downstairs to my sewing table where I unpacked.
The arm is separate from the machine (both in the same box) but both are pretty trim. I know the MC9500 was bigger having much more depth and weight. As I recall even the Bernette Deco was a little stockier and weighed a bit more. We’ll not talk about how massive my mid-sized Designer Ruby is or the even bigger machines I left in the store. The box was about half-filled with styrofoam. Manufacturing has realized that no matter how many Fragile, Handle With Care and This Side Up stickers are placed on a box, Shipping will toss boxes around and the contents will be damaged. The only way to insure a product is not damaged before the box is opened, is to surround it tightly with styrofoam. In addition to the two major parts (arm and base), there is a small case of accessories, a large spool of bobbin thread, the electric cord and 3 different user manuals. I do believe that Brother is doing their best to help the Newby to machine embroidery. My trouble with manuals is that they are in multiple languages. I can be confused trying to find the instructions in my language. Sigh, I do realize that to thrive, the companies need to sell world-wide. Still, I can be confused hunting through the manuals. It can be overwhelming just to see this huge manual. You think OMG. Then find out all you need to read is about 1/5 (20%) of the contents. I’m surprised the greenies haven’t attached this practice of publishing the manuals in multiple languages whatever the final destination. This does seem like a real waste of paper (trees). But then I don’t want to be forced to download all the manuals so maybe I should keep my criticisms to myself.
I placed the chassis on the stand previously occupied by the MC9500; and slid the arm into place until I heard the distinctive click. I found the electric cord and plugged both ends in — one to the machine the other in the surge protector. Then I fished out a bobbin from the accessory case. I was surprised at the thickness of the bobbin. It takes the same size “A” bobbins as the MC9500. I thought “L” size was the standard and was surprised to be using this size. I’m sure the ”L” is the size I used with the Deco and that’s the same size I use with Ruby. Interestingly, the manual recommends winding my own bobbins and lectures at length against using anything other than the provided bobbins. — Bet me.— Bobbin winding has been the bane of my sewing for as long as I can remember. I absolutely know I cannot wind a bobbin as evenly or as full as the pre-wound bobbins (PWB) that I buy. So despite dire warnings, I popped in one of my A bobbins. I do love the top loading bobbin configuration and especially the thread path the Brother provides. I had the same thread path with the Deco. I was never sure if I was correctly threading the MC9500′s bobbin. OTOH, my Ruby is very picky. I must guide the thread under a little nubbin that I hold open with my thumbnail. If I don’t thread Ruby’s bobbins just so, she won’t make a decent stitch. I was so pleased with the PE770 bobbin system. It’s familiar and easy to execute.
And I continued to examine my new machine….