Continuing with the Robins Egg Blue.

I’m pleased with the deColourant Plus application process. Pleased with the silk screen. Pleased with the stencil. Not pleased by the color. The final color is a muddy blue nowhere near the Robins Egg Blue shown on the web.

But I decide to go ahead with my project. This is after all Fabric 02 and anything that makes Fabric 02 more blue than dull green is an improvement.  Furthermore, I know that altering fabric colors is not like changing screen colors. The basic fiber and all previous treatments affect the shade of the final color. I actually could be lucky to get this much blue. Besides, I bought and had shipped to my house the 8 ounce bottle.

I don’t just apply deColourant to the stencil; lift and repeat.  First, I tested the resist for a purpose.  This is a fabric on whichI’ve already invested hours testing and machine stitching.  I don’t mean hoop it up and let the embroidery unit do it’s thing.  I mean, choose a pre-programmed stitch; altering to my taste and then personally sitting at the sewing machine for hours to place lustrous thread upon the surface of the fabric.  So I’m thoughtful when it comes to my stencil.  I masked my previous stitching. Then I look carefully at my stencil and turn it each time.  I’m trying to shift it slightly to that it is not the expected repeat.  I try to avoid the birds but don’t eliminate them entirely.

I have 2 pieces of fabric approximately 1 yard long and 56″ wide.  I finish the first piece and allow it to dry while I work on the second.  By the time the second is done, the first is ready to be steam pressed.

All goes according to plan but I notices some differences.  My samples were all 6″ wide and various lengths but under 12″.  I had detected no odors, no irritation, no reaction to chemicals on the smaller pieces.  On these larger pieces, I must set up the fan in order to avoid the, um, aromas (think bird poo and recycled earth worms).  DH arrives shortly thereafter asking what I’m burning.  I do use a press cloth to protect my iron/press and that may be having an effect.  It is something I will remember for future reference i.e. when I fire up the press, turn on the fan.

Photobucket
I am happier with the end result than with the samples.  The dull green is never going to be completely gone because I don’t want to do the work necessary.  I would have to bleach the fabric and then dye it.  Rit dyes have never produced a satisfactory result for me.  I had aunts who swore by Rit.  I tend to swear at it.  The other dye processes available are really confusing to me.  I prefer to avoid activities that are inherently dangerous.  So far, the deColourant process is my best choice but it can be a bit pricey to affect such a large area (over 2 square yards closer to 3).  Before I started applying the product, I chalked the outlines of my proposed garment, a vest, onto the fabric.  I applied the product only within the chalk lines.  I used about 2/3 of the 8 oz bottle.  It’s likely that I’m using the product more extensively than KandiCorp planned and engineered for.  I do tend to push the limits.

My Fabric 02 project is once again in a holding pattern.  While I like this stage, I don’t think the final garment would be spectacular.  It would look rather dull. I need to think some more; test some other options; maybe even choose another embellishment.

I’m also not done with deColourant.  I want to know how to get the lovely colors I see on the web and I’m continuing my experiments.

Advertisements