My First CoverStitch Project

Yeah I know, impossible to actually see but I turned up the white, embroidered area and coverstitched it to the blue printed area.  These are all pillow cases

needed to go with the new sheets. For pictures I draped the pillowcases over the embroidery machine, a Janome MC9500.  I used the 5.51×7.81″ hoop.  It is the hoop I use the most often and rarely do I need anything larger. That’s a standard sized pillow case. The embroidery is repeated of the reverse side so it doesn’t matter which side of the pillow is up.

The leaf embroidery was purchased many years ago from a now defunct site.  The leaves do not have a single jump stitch.  I know that seems penny-anny considering today’s machines can trim jump stitches.  My MC9500 however was purchased before machine trimming was invented.  The flowers came from a different design.  Each flower requires 6 trims.  All by hand.  I really wanted those flowers, but in retrospect I wish I had digitized them myself.  I most certainly would have eliminated the jumps not only because I don’t like to manually trim stitches, but because I also think that all those trims detract from the luster of the design.  Unless you pull the stitches to the back (which I don’t do), you will have a tiny dull end poking up.

I used an assortment of studs for the centers:

It might have been better had I used the same stud for each center.  But I was intrigued by the various studs, which I’ve not used previously but have acquired a small stash.

Back to the coverstitching…. I approached the project with trepidation.  I’d survived two long previous sessions with my machine trying to get the coverstitch to work. I was successful, but leery of having to invest that much time whenever I wanted a quick finish.  It just seemed counterproductive. I noticed that I’d been resisting using the coverstitch.  There have been several times that I could have but opted for another finish.  I decided this was a large enough project to be easy to handle, with enough repeats to make it worthwhile.  It was time to start building expertise and confidence in using the coverstitch capability of my Viking S21.

The worst of the project turned out to be finding complete instructions.  I’m not happy with how the manual is organized.  It has all the threading instructions in one place. So all the instructions for threading the lower loopers and the chain looper are on two pages, the next 2 pages are how to thread the upper needles and then how to thread the needle for the chain looper and finally how to thread each of the 3 needles for coverstitching. Pages later is a summary of all the settings for every type stitch the machine makes. Pages after that is a small section listing the coverstitch settings but not how to make them. So should you not know how to disengage the cutting blade, you must consult the index and turn to another page. Unsure of what you are setting to “R”, another trip to the index and flip to another section of the manul. I actually photocopied all the pertinent pages  and only the pertinent pages, I mean I need to know how the coverstitch needles are to be threaded. The regular needles are different and aren’t pertinent to the coverstitch process other than they should be removed.  Anyway, I scanned all the pages, put the summary first and then arranged the pages to correspond with the summary order.

Advertisements