I think it was my Dad who introduced me to the concept of mile stones. He said it came from the Roman days of building roads and a special mark when each mile was completed. It would have been important to road builders and marching armies. Probably a curiosity or passing interest for a traveler. Unless you were loaded down and were required to travel so many miles before resting. Would have been pretty important then, I think.
The milestone I’m thinking of today has to do with an unspoken goal, that of reorganizing my embroidery design files so that it’s easier for me to find what I want when I want it. I haven’t spoken or written about this goal because I started working on this goal August 2012 and elected not to establish a time limit. No time limit because it is a gargantuan task and I wanted to be able to “rest” from it whenever and for however long I want. This is a gargantuan task because I’ve been collecting digitized embroidery files for between 20 and 30 years. I was collecting designs before I even purchased a machine! …and I collected everything. At the time and with great effort, portions of designs could be aggregated to create a new design. At least that was my excuse for spending hours upon hours downloading and saving many of those files. My file management changed over time for various reasons. When I first started blogging, I decided that I wanted to be able to identify the digitizer whenever I used one of my files. However 6 years later, the vast majority of files are still unidentified (as to their digitizer).What I have created is a partially redundant system which causes me to expend hours hunting through several different folders. Most of time when I use a file, I still have to admit I don’t know who the digitizer was. I find myself frustrated by seeing duplicates and looking in duplicate folders. I don’t have a clear idea as to how many designs I really have because they are duplicated. My intent last August was to combine the major folder “Digitized Designs” with the major folder “Embroidery Collections” with sub-goals to reducing the amount of duplicate files and to remove files that I know *I won’t use.
Today, some 6 months later I’m pleased to announce I’ve reached a milestone for this project. I have combined the major folders Digitized Designs and Embroidery Collections.
*During all that frantic collecting I acquired files that are subjects I’m not interested in using as well as files that are poorly digitized. At this time in my life, I don’t want to even look through them and certainly don’t want the repeat experience of using a poorly digitized file. I have established a new folder “NotLikely”. I can’t bear simply deleting these files that I spent so much time downloaded. But, in truth, I don’t want to consider them for any of my projects. I hope one day soon, I’ll delete this folder as well.