New Bathroom Curtain

I finished and hung a coordinating curtain in the bathroom.  My fabric is synthetic, I think polyester, that is very slick.  It is intended for curtains or maybe linings. It is translucent allowing the light to filter through but not transparent — so I can’t be seen doing my business. I didn’t make a pair but only a single curtain.  I used this embroidery

 

centered and placed just above the bottom hem.  I don’t remember when I got this embroidery.  I hesitated about using it. Oh I wanted it, but didn’t know if I wanted to repeat it twice on the curtain or enlarge the design and use only once. Well, actually that was what I wanted, a single large design, but to do so meant enlarging it about 40%.  Common wisdom says never enlarge a design more than 10%. However, two things work in my favor.  (1) The design was well digitized.  I studied it carefully in Embird.  There were no heavy spots.  Also it didn’t skip about, but embroidered smoothly across the design and back.  There were jump stitches but only between the individual flowers and centers.  (2) Software has greatly improved so that stitches are added appropriately.  Early software made the individual stitches larger.  Oh and there’s probably a (3) helpful factor, my Designer Ruby is a great machine.  I used two layers of water soluble stabiliser in the hoop.  I use a temporary spray and glued the two layers together before placing them in the hoop.  I also used the silver clips which add more tension.  I marked the fabric and placed it on top of the stabilizer.  I basted the fabric in place and added a WSS topper.  I did slow the machine down to half speed; AND I never left its side.

When the embroidery was done, I serge finished the raw edges and threw it in the wash on delicate to remove all the stabiliser.

Once that was done, it was mostly a cover stitch job. At the cover stitch I used a chain stitch to hem the sides 1″.  I added a second needle, folded the top down 2″ and the bottom up 3″ before cover stitching the rod pocket and hem.  I love working at the cover stitch machine. It uses only 3 threads and is easy, easy to thread. The bottom looper is so easy to get to and means that winding a bobbin is unnecessary.  The only downside is that CS can be easily undone.  The side hem were crossed by the stitching of the rod pocket and hem. Crossing with another line of stitching definitely secures the first line of stitching.  Because I CS’d completely across but never over lapped the other two rows of stitching, they needed to be secured else wise.  I also didn’t want their threads to show.  For those reasons, I started with about 3″ of thread free and ended with about the same.  Then I threaded a beading tool through the stitching on the wrong side, grabbed the threads in the wire loop (of the beading tool) and pulled the threads in between fabric and looper thread. Easy and invisible.

Advertisements

One thought on “New Bathroom Curtain

Comments are closed.