Gold Vest

I have started my Spring 6PAC. It’s unusual for me to start this early, but I wanted to morph TJ906 into a yoga pant which will take a few iterations. So I may as well work on the Spring 6PAC at the same time. I chose Gold and Blue for my colors because those are my stash shelves with fabrics falling to the floor.  This “gold” fabric was a remnant found while Mill Ends was still in business. It is surprisingly soft, cushy and heavy.  I gave it the burn test and am still not sure what it is.  It smell like asphalt and had black ash. It did not form a bead, just melted down to the edge. The orange flame would die down but not self-extinguish. In fact it would reflame at the slightest provocation (I sneezed.)  There was actually a liquid that melted beneath the fabric swatch. Which stayed clear and liquid… and sticky.  Pretty sure it is a man-made fiber and will be the first thing I jettison when fire is a concern.

I wanted to do something soft and drapey and modern, but dang it takes a lot of fabric to do that kind of look.  My remnant also had a flaw that needed to be accommodated.  In the end I used my TNT 6538.  Several years ago I’d been frustrated at being just 1″ short of having enough width to make 6538.  I had the brilliant idea  to overlap the back and  front pieces at the side seam.  I’d actually tried several other patterns with this fabric. That means pulling out the pieces; tracing if necessary; otherwise ironing and smoothing. All that before trying to arrange the pieces on top of the fabric.  By now I was a little irritated and frustrated and wanting to just get it done. I elected to use this No-Side seam pattern version no because it was the look I wanted, but because it was the look which would work with the amount of fabric I had.

I also cut a lining from a cotton/poly print that has been in the stash for a few years.  I’m not sure when or where I got the lining fabric. It’s 3 yards, so it wouldn’t be a Walmart purchase (always bought 4 or 5 yards of those dollar fabrics.).  It isn’t  a nice shirting fabric.  Not really slick enough for a lining. But the colors were right for this group; and it is slicker than some of my other options.  (I like a slippery lining fabric).  I cut the lining using the same no-side seam 1-piece pattern.  Then fashioned pockets which are on the inside and therefore invisible to the rest of the world.  I place these pockets so the top is just below my arm pit.  They’re perfect for my phone or a Kleenex or even credit card.  Plus they are quick to sew.  Don’t have to be too pretty, just secure and sturdy.

I wish I had planned to use this pattern from the get go.  As it was, all my previous plans were discarded and I was without finishing plans.  I didn’t even interface the vest. I know  a big mistake.  This style wears better and longer if it has interfacing across the top, around the underarms and in the hems.  I didn’t do that.  I don’t think I even finished the armscyes properly.  I put lining and “fashion” fabrics wrong sides together and serged the armscyes; turned 1/2″ towards the inside and then topstitched 3/8″ from the folded edge.

It looks nice, but I do wonder how long it will last.  I was able to hem using my SM although I had issues because the fabric is so beefy. Double it, add lining doubled and the SM foot is riding at an angle across the whole fat mess.

I was delayed a day. Which had me wishing I had added elastic shaping across the back and welts in front and oh a few other things I would have thought of if I had planned this style and not another.  I’d already sewn the shoulder seams, front and neck edges by then and was not going to fight with the huge mass of fabric to change anything.  I did have time to plan a nice front closure.

I’m using a hair elastic and a glass bead.  Well it’s not a bead. It should be dangling from a necklace. I secured the “bead” with 10 wraps of double thread. Hope that holds, cause up close it does look lovely.  From the average view-point, very nice!

 

Advertisements