Woven Cami

I used to have a wardrobe of camisoles. Yes practically a separate wardrobe.  Early in my career, I found that a camisole assured me modesty even in front of large, light-filled windows. X-ray like windows. When I moved to the Mid-West I discovered camis were also a needed wardrobe layer during cold spells (spells which last from Nov through Apr ).   So I developed a wardrobe of camis. Sleeveless, tank-top styles for summer. Short and long sleeves for spring fall and winter. Oh I varied the fabric too. Summer styles were most likely to be cotton lawn, handkerchief linen or a very light weight percale. Winter brought out nylon or polyester jerseys and interlocks with the occasional deep waffle weave for deep winter cold.  Then I retired. And I didn’t need as many clothes or as varied a wardrobe. As things wore out, they weren’t necessarily replaced immediately or even in-kind. The same applied to my camisoles which also suffered from the “I can make that” syndrome. Camis are easily sewn. Require little fabric or time. While I could have bought, I didn’t.  Until I was down to one rather ugly long sleeve cami that I wore only when the weather was so cold I didn’t care what I layered as long as I had multiple layers.

I started rectifying this lack last winter when I bought two camisoles from Walmart.  Then I copied the Walmart pattern and made another.  Which bought the inventory up to 3 + the ugly long-sleeved undergarment, thingy.  I prefer 8 of anything. 8 tops. 8 pairs of pants. 8 pairs of panties. Why? Because it gets me through the entire week without madly dashing about trying to put together a load of laundry.

So I’ve got  3. Which is not quite enough for a while week. But the 3rd at least told me I had a viable pattern. For a cami.  I hunted through the stash and found a 1.5 yd piece of transparent, woven nylon.  I cut rapidly and stitched 2 additional camis.

OK, I cut the fabric, embroidered, added 1 drop of bling and then stitched the camis.  I used the shell stitch hem to finish necklines, armscyes and hem. I like to serge the raw edge and turn it under while stitching the ‘shell’ at the SM.  The shell is formed by using the blind hem stitch allowing the zag to fall just over the edge.  It’s one of those delightful experiences wherein you have no idea what the stitch will produce unless you experiment.

The other thing I like is, this is truly quick even with my boo-boo. While I was embroidering, one the straps slipped beneath the hoop.  Fortunately, long ago, another embroideress had the same or very similar experience. I trimmed off the mistake and cut and stitched a new strap in its place. Then I applied a ribbon on both sides, not just over my boo boo.  To the average viewer, this cami has additional embellishment.  Only you and I know the truth.

Advertisements