In yesterday’s post, I mentioned the buttons. Despite my large collection -the result of my own collecting, collecting of my mother, sister, aunts and gifts of unknown origin– I didn’t feel I had a suitable button for this project. Nothing would do. I spent some quality time on my tablet at Etsy looking at black buttons. When I ran across these
at radishka. I immediately visualized these with gold brushed across the raised surfaces. Though I searched for another few hours, I couldn’t find anything close. I purchased determined to add my own gold paint of which I have a few to select from
Also a few paint application tools
beyond the normal brushes. I decided to use the Luminere Gold and the medium-sized roller. I started by poking some holes in waste foam and settling the button shanks into the holes.
I knew I wanted 5 buttons on my jacket which left me with 1 to test (ruin). I squeezed out a little paint on a cleaned foam meat tray
and rolled the roller through it a few times to spread the paint and pick it up on my roller.
Then rolled across my test button. To my utter shock, my first test was perfect. Exactly what I had envisioned! It took several more dollops of paint and I needed to hold the buttons in place using a latch tool
I needed the cotton swap to remove paint in the few spots where I was too zealous with my application.
I let the paint dry 4 hours, moved the buttons and foam to the top of an opened paper bag, and sprayed with an acrylic sealant.
I let the sealant dry for about 8 hours. Not really sure because I sprayed; let it set until bed time; when I ran downstairs and gave the buttons another spray. In the morning they were dry and beautiful.
Totally pleased with the end result.
They compliment the jacket just as I imagined and were lots easier to create than I expected.
PS I think I paid $8 for the buttons. 49cents is a pipe dream from long ago. Shipping was USPS First Class and took about a week.