AcuDesign Test Project

dscn6957_resize

If you recall, I was working on a real project while at the same time exploring AcuDesign. I imported a design, edited colors and stitch order. Duplicated the design, rotated and merged with a 2nd design before exporting a VP3 file for use at the embroidery machine.

AcuDesign has an icon for centering the design both horizontally and vertically. That would have worked had I been satisfied to stitch one towel per hoop. Since I wanted to stitch two hoops, I manually moved and centered the files. I was uncertain that I had placed my design exactly where I wanted in the hoop. OK there are various methods for aligning designs to stitch out precisely where wanted. I decided just to ‘check’ the file with Embird. Sure enough, the files were not centered nor were they placed at the right distance away from the hem. I corrected that in Embird and trotted off the stitch my towels.

Nearly ruined the first one. My Design Ruby humped and thumped. Activating the scissors every few stitches. Also requiring that I ‘clean threads’ from beneath the plate.  I stopped without having finished a single motif.

There are known issues with converting files. Those of us who are end users can’t really tell you why or even how it happens but every machine embroidery editor will add or delete stitches in the process of converting. I suspected that Embird was the source of my issues and it may have been responsible for many.  I added the trim function. Trim doesn’t merely activate the scissors. It somehow adds a stop which consists of 3 stitches in the same place intended to create a knot.  I know this, because that’s one of the settings I specified in Embird.  I’ve made several changes to Embird’s defaults that work nearly all the time. I’ve used multiple designs from this digitizer without issue.  Not really sure why Embird doesn’t like this file but I could see it adding stitches.  Just to be sure AcuDesign hadn’t contributed, I started over with the original file still on my PC.  Same wacky results. Sadly, that particular design won’t work with my equipment. However, I’m inclined to believe it’s not the digitizer, but rather Embird and VP3 issues.

Now impatient to get this project done, I selected a similar design (different digitizer), rotated, changed colors and stitching order, duplicated and positioned in the hoop as I desired.  All while using Embird at my desktop computer. I remember coaching individuals that just didn’t want to switch to new software, new methods. This is a perfect example of why. I spent nearly a week getting the first design ready for stitching. Had this one ready in about 15 minutes.

Umm, stitching took 4 days.  Part of the 4 days was spent removing threads from under the plate. Rethreading the machine. Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. My Ruby needs a trip to the tech. She was due 2 years ago but I’ve been traveling the other direction and spending all my money on the skin cancer issue. It’s winter. I wont’ be making that long trip to Sioux Falls just for a servicing especially since I have another machine, the PE770 sitting in its box.

I think AcuDesign worked well. It has it’s limitations and I’ll probably always need to check things in Embird. So the Flash drive may have been an unneeded purchase as I can always copy the file to a plain old thumb drive after I’m finished in Embird at my desktop PC. The stitchout issues were probably a combination of Embird and my Ruby. It will be interesting to try to stitch the design again after getting Ruby back from repair sometime next spring.

Advertisements